Taking a peek at political trends ahead of our Florida debate

Wednesday, September 21, 2011 | 2:51 PM

Labels: , , , ,

With our Fox News GOP Presidential debate less than 48 hours away, we thought it would be useful to once again look at Google search trends to see which candidates users are searching for.

We last looked at search trends and the GOP presidential race in early August just ahead of the Iowa Straw Poll. From former candidates (Tim Pawlenty) to new candidates (Texas Governor Rick Perry), the dynamics of this race have changed dramatically in the past 4 weeks. This time around, we found:

1. Since joining the field in August, Rick Perry has jumped out to be the most searched front-running candidate nationally.
2. Congresswoman Michele Bachmann is still very much in the search race - contrary to media reports, our data shows this may not a two-person contest between Rick Perry and Mitt Romney!
3. Past debates generated interest among Google users on hot-button issues like HPV and Social Security.
4. Which state searches most for Ron Paul? Montana. (I didn’t predict that either!).
5.  Search queries mirrored the results in the NY-9 Special Election recently.

Rick Perry takes the lead
[Rick Perry] has taken the lead in searches on Google. As more and more Americans hear, read, and talk about him, they’re looking to the web to discover more about the issues, his positions, and his background. Since joining the race, he’s held the lead among the front-running candidates in terms of overall search numbers.


Bachmann hanging tough
Back in early August, we learned that Michele Bachmann was the most searched candidate both in Iowa and across the country. Heading into the Iowa Straw Poll, we showed her with a commanding lead in search volume and when all the votes were tallied, she won. A peek at our search trends shows that, despite some recent claims, the GOP race is not a two-person race. Rather, it might still be a three-person race. Although Bachmann has dropped behind searches for [Rick Perry] across the country, she is still more searched than [Mitt Romney].



Debates Drives Interest in Issues
Tomorrow at our debate with Fox News, we’ll be looking to user-submitted questions and search data to help frame the debate and prompts given to the candidates. The issues that Americans care most about will take center stage. In a blog post yesterday, we showed that the top-ranking categories are Government Spending & Debt and Jobs & Economy. These issues will dominate the evening. However, if past debates are any measure, there could be a breakout issue that isn’t on anyone’s radar ahead of the program. Resulting from recent debates in Florida and New Hampshire, two hot-button issues emerged and voters turned to the web to discover more on the topics. With the perceived-frontrunner Governor Perry being pressed on his positions, his opponents shed light on his stances. As a result, in the days after the debates, searches for [Social Security Ponzi Scheme] and searches [HPV Rick Perry] and [HPV] vaccines - saw major increases as voters turned to the web to discover more and get to the truth of the matters.


Montana is Ron Paul country
Some of you may be wondering where Congressman Ron Paul is in all of this search activity. Having accurately predicted his second place finish in the Iowa Straw Poll - based on search trends - we’ve noticed that over the summer, the state with the highest interest in Ron Paul is Montana. Surprised me, too! Other top states include early states like Iowa, New Hampshire, and Florida, so perhaps this data bodes well for some key primaries.

NY-9 Results
Finally, we thought it would be useful to walk through some of the ways that our search data has served as a good proxy for offline behavior - and in this case - elections. We’ve already showed you above how search data in Iowa showed a Bachmann - Paul finish in the Iowa Straw Poll in August, but more recently we saw parallels in search data and election results in the special election for 9th Congressional District which pitted Republican [Bob Turner] against Democrat [David Weprin]. The search trends show Turner pulling away to a lead in the days leading up to election day. He went on to win.

Like most of you, all of us on the Google Politics and Elections team will continue to be keeping a close eye on the race and tomorrow night’s debate promises to be a great moment in the campaign. Stay tuned here for more search trends as the race heats up.

Posted by:  Jake Parrillo, Politics and Elections Project Communications Team

10 comments:

How doctor olu help me to increase my penis size said...

Hello everyone, am very happy to share this little awesome testimony about Dr olu a great herbal doctor who help me enlarge my penis size.3.2 cm to 8.3 cm longer with his herbal cream mixture, my girlfriend is now so amazed with the autonomous size of my penis , if you you are also in need of help on how to enlarge your penis to become bigger and stronger I adverse you to contact Dr on his email (drolusolutionhome@gmail.com) ) you or contact on whatsapp number +2348140654426 because he is one of the best herbal doctor that i can only show you up to, if your penis is 4.2 cm and want to get it reach 9.2 cm within three weeks i Dr olu is also specialized on obey m breast and boobs enlargement i advise you to contact him for help

Jason Ruth said...

[HOW I GOT CURED FROM GENITAL HERPES VIRUS )
I was diagnosed with GENITAL HERPES VIRUS , my doctor told me it has no permanent cure, this virus affected me so badly that i was so ashamed of my self, this continued until a friend of mine Anna told me about Dr NANA from west Africa who cured her mother from GENITAL HERPES VIRUS, I contacted this herbal doctor and he sent me the herbal medicine through courier service, when i received it i applied it for 2 week with the instruction and i was totally cured from GENITAL HERPES VIRUS permanently within 7 to 8 days of usage. if you are passing through the same problem you can contact him via his email you should know about his natural herbal treatment, Dr NANA email is been attached to my post reach him for help. add him on Email at drnanaherbalsolutionhome@gmail.com or whatsapp line or call +2347014784614.
he can also cured this disease,CANCER,ALS,HPV WARTS,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE,STROKE








































Susan said...

I am Susan Afread , from New york, USA I can’t stop thanking DR Ewan for this Great thing that he has done in my life, I am so grateful to him, i was suffering from HIV virus for 11years,when i contacted DR Ewan after reading the wonderful testimony that people has been sharing about him. I have being on medication and trying looking for cure to my ailment. I went through internet doctors and i contacted a Tradomedical/Traditional doctor named, Dr Ewan for help. He give me all his rules and regulations,that if he cured me that I should write about him on internet site and that is what I’m doing now. He assure me that he will cure me with his herbal medicine which he really did, and I’m now completely cured from HIV virus. What will i say rather than thanking him for saving me. Why suffering in silence when there is remedy to your diseases.Dr Ewan also specialize in curing the following disease:
*HIV/Aids
*Kidney failure
*Arthritis
*Diabetes
*Hypertension
*Ebola and Other Hemorrhagic Fevers
*The Opioid Epidemic
*Antibiotic Resistance
*Vaccine Hesitancy
*Candida Auris
*Stroke
*Obesity
*Infertility/Impotency
*Cancer
*Eye Problem
*Skin Problem
*Fibroid Tumor
*Ulcer
*Prostate Problem
*Asthma
*Weight Management
*Gonorrhea/Staphylococcus
*Candidie
*Low sperm can
*Weak erection
*Weak ejaculation
*Pile
*Elephantiasis
*Skin Infection
*Paralysis e.t.c
*If you want your ex back.
*If you always have bad dreams.
*Herpes
*Hpv
*If you want to be promoted in your office. For more information contact Dr Ewan via email:(drewanherbalhome@gmail.com), you can also call him on his mobile number or what'app +2348149470344

Jessica Funk said...

Hello, I am Jessica Funk. After being in relationship with my husband for
years, he broke up with me. I did everything within my reach to bring him
back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so badly because of the love I
had for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused.
I explained my problem to my friend and she suggested that I should rather
contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back ,
I had no choice than to try it. I messaged the spell caster, and he assured
me there was no problem and that everything will be okay before three days.
He cast the spell and surprisingly on the second day, my husband called me.
I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so
sorry for everything that had happened He wanted me to return to him. He
also said he loved me so much. I was so happy and went to him that was how
we started living together happily again. The spell casters email is :
okokakspedllhome@gmail.com. You can email him if you need his assistance in
your relationship or any other Case. Or WhatApp him on +2349060421250

1) Love Spells
2) Lost Love Spells
3) Divorce Spells
4) Marriage Spells
5) Binding Spell.
6) Breakup Spells
7) Banish a past Lover
8.) You want to be promoted in your office/ Lottery spell
9) want to satisfy your lover
Contact this great man if you are having any problem for a lasting solution
through okokakspellhome@gmail.com

Jessica Funk said...

my name is Jessica Funk and I want to thank Dr Sam a very powerful spell caster who help me bring back my husband, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until till the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Sam and told him every think and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him,i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within that 3 days, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with his email address [okokakspellhome@gmail.com or okokakspellhome@yahool.com] or add him up on his whatsapp +2349060421250 he is willing to help any body that need his help.

Jessica Funk said...

my name is Jessica Funk and I want to thank Dr Sam a very powerful spell caster who help me bring back my husband, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until till the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Sam and told him every think and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him,i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within that 3 days, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with his email address [okokakspellhome@gmail.com or okokakspellhome@yahool.com] or add him up on his whatsapp +2349060421250 he is willing to help any body that need his help.

Suntran Matthew said...

I am here to give my testimony about Dr Ebhota who helped me.. i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by salami, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Dr Ehbota cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took for just 2 weeks and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result came out negative. I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that there is no cure for herpes that is Not true just contact him and get cure from Dr Ebhota healing herbal cure of all kinds of sickness you may have like
(1) CANCER,
(2) DIABETES,
(3) HIV&AIDS,
(4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
(5) CANCER,
(6) IMPOTENCE,
(7) BARENESS/INFERTILITY
(8) DIARRHEA
(9) ASTHMA
(10)SIMPLEX HERPES AND GENITAL
(11)COLD SORE
HERPES. he also cure my friend from cervical cancer Email: drebhotasoultion@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348089535482

Jaccy lamber said...

My ex-boyfriend dumped me 8months ago after I accused him of seeing someone else and insulting him. I want him back in my life but he refuse to have any contact with me .I was so confuse and don’t know what to do, so I reach to the internet for help and I saw a testimony of how a spell caster help them to get their ex back so I contact the spell caster and explain my problem to him and he cast a spell for me and assure me of 2days that my ex will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my ex came knocking on my door and beg for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. once again thank you Dr Godday you are truly talented and gifted. Email: Goddayspiritualhome@gmail.com is the only answer. he can be of great help and I will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man contact +19194956404 - WHATSAPP ONLY

Unknown said...


hello everyone reading this, i want to thank dr marsu for his good work in my life, i was married for 4 years and all of as sudden i had a little augment with my husband that lead to divorce, i was surprise and so weak i couldn't think of what to do i cried all day till my friend told me about dr marsu i gave a try and after 48 hours my husband called me and ask for forgiveness. i am happily married with children now, i want every one that need his help kindly mail him (drmarsuofficial@gmail.com) or WhatsApp `+2348052798385

Foam Insulation Ottawa said...

The best way to understand what national implications this election will have is through community organizers on the ground mobilizing Floridian voters, elected officials witnessing the crafting of new progressive policies, and candidates hoping to win over a historically Republican state. Join us for a discussion about the importance of uplifting the stories of Floridians during the 2022 midterms.